Noel Bellen Samar

 

www.philexaminer.com

 

Legazpi City, [09.04.17] – At least one person have died and close to a hundred residents of Badian, Oas, Albay were hospitalized after a suspected cholera outbreak on Saturday hit this coastal village, two elected barangay officials said in a radio interview this morning.

badian,oasBadian Punong Barangay Henry Monteveros and Barangay Kagawad Maria Fortes confirmed today the disease outbreak that caused the death of a female villager during a live radio interview over 101.1 Yes Fm.

The casualty was identified as Crizelda Imperial Atuli.

According to Punong Barangay Monteveros and Barangay Kagawad Fortes they were alarmed by the disease outbreak when close to a hundred villagers were complaining of severe stomach disorders like intense vomiting and loose bowel movements on Saturday.

Residents were rushed to Pio Duran Memorial District Hospital and to Pantao Distict Hospital for medical treatment, but the two government hospitals don’t have enough supplies of medicines and the patients were refused admission by the physicians, Monteveros and Fortes said in the radio interview.

Monteveros wife was brought to a private hospital in Ligao City, while other patients were brought to the Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital in Legazpi City just to get treated for their stomach disorders, they added.

Barangay Badian is a fishing village of Oas, Albay located in Albay West Coast facing Burias Pass – like a typical Philippine rural area, residents of Badian have had  a poor access to potable water  as they get their water supply from deep well using hand pumps in tapping the groundwater.

Meanwhile, Provincial Health official suspects the village was hit by cholera, but they  still have to issue an official statement on what is the cause of outbreak as of posting time.

Cholera is an infectious disease characterized by intense vomiting and profuse watery diarrhea and that rapidly leads to dehydration and often death. Cholera is caused by infection with the bacteria Vibrio cholerae, which may be transmitted via infected fecal matter, food, or water.